Tuesday 5 October 2010

Wk 2: Day 2: Act of God Cards

Early on in discussion Monday, our team had decided not to make cards, however looking at the basic gameplay ideas at the moment, it seems too plain. Thats when I had the idea for 'Act of God ' cards. Having asked a family member who was involved in construction work, he said that often crazy things would happen on site where he was. Having taken a few of the things he mentioned and some of my own here is a possible list of 'Acts of God' :

Discover Iron age burial ground (pay ..... (When people would find archilogical digs on a site, the building firm would have to pay for the dig to happen))
Local kids push down brickwork (pay ....)
Gales Blow the roof off (lose roof peice)
Discover rare toad colony, pay for their relocation (pay ...)
Accidently cut down preservation tree (pay ...)
Plumbers set fire to your house (pay .... (this came from something that happened to our next door neighbours - their plumbers accidently left a torch on and set fire to their house))
Lightning strike damages electrics (pay... (one of the members of the course had this happen to their street))
Accidently hire Cowboy Builders ( lose one peice to shoddy work)
Your work force suddenly flees the country - (miss a turn to rehire)
(Recent update : A construction member accidently floods your house and a fish is found in the room. Pay for repairs and a fishing license
Some local teens 'liberate' some of your street cones (miss a turn)

 positive ones:
Sell your story to a documentary show (gain money) - inspired by grand designs show on channel 4
Win Design award (money)
A local builder gives you a spare piece (gain piece)
Find gold coins (money)
You inherit a plot of land that you sell for money (money)
There are rumors about laama pouching near by. The newspaper uses you for its source (pick a player and they miss a turn trying to dispute the allegations)

I'll need to pitch this idea to my collegues so I decided to do some artwork for the symbol.
Considering how most of my artwork so far has been mainly based around symbols, I decided to continue this theme with my 'Act of God' concept. My first thought was the stereotypical hands in the air worship pose. I asked a friend to pose while I took the picture. Then using my tablet I traced their hands in photoshop, before applying the film grain effect.  After this, a stencil styled text was added, with the paint tool utilised to create the paint dripping effect. Finally I lowered the opacity of the layer to drop the intensity of the 'paint'.
Overall I was pretty impressed with the end product, and many of the people I showed noticed this more than other logos.

No comments:

Post a Comment