Monday 11 October 2010

Wk 3: Day 1: Card Front

Given the role of Card design, I thought a lot about our combination of themes (1920’s industrial sky city and the somewhat futuristic Robot build) and how best I could incorporate this. The word Robot brings forth connotations of futuristic, clean lines, sleek design. But then again, in the 1920’s it was very bulky. Furthermore Cogs, Copper, steel and a solid industrial process were all features of production lines in that era.
This was the basic template I constructed. Using simple geometric shapes and metallic toning, I aimed for a plain metallic sheet look. This wouldn’t have been too difficult in this era as steel was very much part of the economy. Never the less, it looked rather simplistic so, I decided to add a slightly ‘futuristic’ look to the design by incorporating some clean lines that would divide up the metal. My reason for doing this is it does make it look more futuristic but nevertheless wouldn’t be impossible to achieve in that era. I added a small cog into the bottom left hand corner to further increase the detail of the design and further improve the construction of the theme.





Josh had suggested that the mishap/ positive cards had a star icon on the board that looked as if it had been 'spray painted on' with a clear centre. This is the design of which I felt fit those criteria, and also would fit the card design as it looked as if it had been burnt onto the metal. After having done these above concepts, I experimented a little with colour and form using photoshop effects.By applying the Photoshop effect ‘Poster edges’ and a cold photo filter, it showed another direction I could take with the cards that was bright, vibrant and more unrealistic. Of course, this isn’t my main intention for the card, so I will present it tomorrow to the team in addition to the card templates. I also trialled some interesting text effects for the card.




The neon effect is easy to read and fits the theme of the card; however I do worry that it shall be too futuristic for the time period. Again I shall present this to the team and gather any criticism or opinions.


Overall, I am optimistic about the designs I have created. Of course there will be room to manoeuvre within the designs depending on the directions others have taken. But hopefully it will be accepted well, and the opinions I gathered from friends that I have showed the cards to was great so this can only bode well.

No comments:

Post a Comment