Tuesday 12 October 2010

Wk 3: Day 2: Card Back

Inspired by Josh's 1920's style design, I realised that my metal design was perhaps not as fitting to other people’s ideas and I needed to change this. The back of the card hadn't been designed yet so this was a perfect opportunity to link the theme of the board game with my original concepts. Using a simple Google search ('1920's posters’) I realised that the artwork and Art Deco style was comprised heavily of smooth lines and block colour.
Choosing red and beige as the colour theme I began to construct two sets of diagonal lines that extended in width as they got further out. Furthermore I incorporated the basic Logo in the centre of the design. The Logo wasn’t perfect but nevertheless this was something that could be changed on Thursday before printing. Besides, Josh had said that his logo would be up on our Facebook group by Wednesday.
After making the basic geometric shapes, I crumpled some paper, folding one corner - before scanning it in. Josh had mentioned in the team meeting that he had used paper texture as an overlay to give it a worn feel. I imitated this in my card design. I also included the fold so that the back of the card looks as if it has been crudely stuck onto the metallic surface (shown by the front of the card). This way it bridges the theme and my face design excellently.
I showed the design to a few people on my social networking list. They liked the design but had the criticism that the 'Star logo' (which I had included to look as if it had been burnt into both the back and front of the card) drew attention away from the design. I removed the star from the design on the below version.





This was a definite improvement as the attention then focused onto the logo and 'Miscalculation' title. I chose Miscalculation for the name of the cards as our narrative storyline is that our player is a mad/ evil scientist. The word 'Miscalculation' is synonymous with scientists as it describes something unplanned or a wrong answer. By using this word, it means that the card is neither positive nor negative.
While this version was again positively received by those I showed it too, some mentioned that it wasn’t too apparent that the back was meant to be peeling off the metallic design. So I used the burn tool to highlight the paper texture in the below edit.




I liked this version but again, the same issue of not looking like it was peeling off was there for those I showed it to.


. This was the penultimate design made. I used a more contrasted edit of the paper texture to make the crumples more prominent - and give the design a darker, worn look. With further constructive input from people I showed it to, I added two screws in the top two corners to finish off the look. This was met with positive feedback. Later I replaced the logo with Josh's as it was much more precise, and was used in all other designs, so was needed to make my design gel with others in the group.




No comments:

Post a Comment