Tuesday 5 October 2010

Wk 2: Day 2: Logo's

Considering our basic concept was based around the construction of a House being the objective, I decided to focus my attention on creating basic logos for application on the board - following the theme of simple house building.
In our meeting Monday a few ideas came up, such as Van Hire - which would allow a player to carry more than one construction piece around the board (i.e.: foundations and a wall piece, etc.), and a Demolition Crew - which would allow the player to remove one piece from the opponents board.

 
This was my concept for the Van Hire square. When speaking to everyone monday, the phrase Van empire or Van Hire made me think of the word vampire. Obviously that would be quite an obvious pun so I decided to edit the slogan to reflect this ' The necks (next) best thing for moving materials'. For the actual logo design I used the square and circular selection tools in photoshop with fill colour to construct the truck and semi circular mark. The Van Hire and slogan texts were made using one of the default photoshop typefaces. Finally I used the Neon artistic effect to create the red glow around the objects.




Another product of the selection tool and fill colour to construct the basic shape. Filling it with grey colouring, I used my tablet and the burn/ dodge tool to render it to seem more 3D. Again Photoshop effects were used for the grainy texture (Film Grain - Artistic). Finally I used two different typefaces from Photoshop to make the 'Wrecked' Demolition sign (lowered opacity for both a little to sink them into the wrecking ball).

For both of these different logos, simplicity was crucial. As board-games are often not too fancy, I decided early on to keep them more as symbols than images. Also, given that my 'theme' was the basic construction version of build it up, it needed to seem basic - as other versions would need to 'outshine' it (something learnt from looking at franchises of Monopoly.

No comments:

Post a Comment